Why not Selleck?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from 150.182.1.47 on April 17, 2000 at 19:09:52:

In Reply to: Why not Selleck? posted by Hannibal King on April 17, 2000 at 11:56:57:

: Hey,

: There have been so many posts since I started visiting here about a year and a half ago stating that Selleck would have been terrible as Indy and I've never figured out why some of you feel that way.

: I think that if he'd have got the part he'd have been as goo in his own way as Harrison Ford.

: My Pro's for Selleck -

: He can carry off action sequences.
: He can be dramatic and light on equal terms.
: He could look like an adventurer.
: He's a good actor who's been served by some shit scripts and terrible films.

: However in two of his early films "High Road to China" and "Lassiter" he played two sides of the Indy persona well.

: I think that he'd have been fine. This isn't against Harrison who played Indy superbly, but for Selleck who could have.

: Now, Selleck bashers, what have you got against him?

: Reasoned answers please - nothing like "he has a big 'tash"

: Seeya

: Hannibal

Well, hind sight always being 20/20, I do believe he could have stepped into the role, but we need to remember what was going on during the time that Lucas first approached him to play Indiana Jones. Selleck was Magnum PI on CBS. Everything he seemed to put his hand to, whether it was as a guest star or on commercial, was played as Magnum ( you know, the old twinkle in the eye, long gaze into the camera as if to say "I know you, the audience, is in on the joke") With that hanging over his head, the public could only SEE him in this characterization. In the movies you mention, "High road to China", Magnum with a hangover (I like this movie by the way), Lassiter was Magnum with little sense of humor. As he has aged, his experience and depth has increased with time. His Magnum character is NOT just an extention of Mr. Selleck. I've seen him on several TV interviews, and he comes across as a very serious, well read, and well spoken man who is extremely interested in his craft. I personally think after seeing him perform in the more recent productions he has been involved with and in that if he could have had the extent of todays experience at the time of yesterdays Indy role offer, and CBS was not there to totally screw up the offer, I think he could indeed have done the character of Indy with good credit. I will admit, I was one of the public that had been brain washed into thinking that he could not do much more than the Magnum characterization. I was very wrong. I think that the Indy role would have been a HUGE break out characterization for Mr. Selleck, and will always wonder what would have happened the Indiana Jones franchaise if he had indeed done the part. It's something that I'll wonder about for years to come. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]