Just to point this out...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JuggleEwok from spider-tf063.proxy.aol.com on April 25, 2000 at 18:12:40:

In Reply to: Some of your points are valid, buuuuutt......... posted by Indiana Jimmie on April 25, 2000 at 12:08:13:

: I wonder how many times you've actually VIEWED this film....
: I agree with most of what you say, except for a few small discrepancies:
: You talked a bit about character devolopement...Qui-Gonn was the one character I wanted to know MORE about...the film was a big let down in that area. So much so, that when he was killed, I almost didn't care. And I am such a fanboy that I totally shielded myself from any info on the film...so his death WAS a surprise.
: Darth Maul was interesting, yes, but all we know about HIM is that he is/was a Sith apprentice.
: And Jar-Jar not in the film that much?!? PUH-LEESE! He had 45 friggin minutes of screen time!! Granted, he was really THE most developed character, but why did he have to be so annoying? Lucas had a GREAT opportunity to really delve into the Gungan culture...but by the time we get to it, everyone is so tired of Jar-Jar that we don't care.I actually heard people in the theater saying stuff like, 'would somebody please shoot him?'
: I wholly agree on your assessment of Obi-Wan...'nuff said.
: My favorite piece of developement is during the senate scene...when the camera focus' on the queen while being told that, basically, nothing will happen soon....the look of anguish and horror for her people/planet is indescribable...which leads me to some of the plot...
: Lucas was so busy beating us over the head with the Anakin SUBPLOT, that the real plot became somewhat of a throwaway....Senator Palpatine PERFECTLY manuevers himself into a position to take over as emperor, with a machine-like coldness that I wasn't quite prepared for...BRRR....I actually expected his rise to take place a bit slower...over the course of the first two films, say...but I loved the whole thing nevertheless...and actually found myself getting annoyed when I had to sit through all of the other stuff.
: And as for plot holes...without having taken notes on the film during viewing, the one that comes quickest to mind is the construction of C-3PO by Anakin...it is already well-established Star Wars cannon that 3PO is over 400 yrs old! NOT 30-35 as this movie suggests'.....and why didn't he or Artoo remember Tatooine in SW:ANH? Or the name Skywalker? Why didn't Ben remember Artoo? These things were never meant to be...they were afterthoughts....
: I'm sorry if you were speaking of plotholes within THP itself...I tend to view this film within the larger structure of Star Wars....otherwise, I really don't think I could've enjoyed it NEARLY as much as I did. I can forgive these minor flaws....I have had to so much with the constant inconsistencies within the Indy mythos (there, that should make this post Indy enough), what with the books, movies, and tv show contradicting each other.
: Overall, as I said, I mostly agree with you....but I DO think Lucas should have studied up on his own universe a bit before writing this...
: Anyway, thanks for reading,
: Indiana Jimmie

: "I'm not leaving here without the stones."

3PO's age was only established in books and roleplaying sourcebooks, etc. Never in the movies, which is apparently the only thing Lucas takes into account. That's what I hear, anyhow. And he claims the other questions, like why no one remembers Tatooine, will be answered in the next movies (my theory: standard droid memory wipes). And R2 looks like a standard R2 unit, and they could easily be mistaken for one another. 'Sides, Ben says he doesn't remember OWNING a droid. Anyways, uh, what kind of inconsistancies are there in the Indy universe? I haven't read the books or seen more than a few eps of the Tv show.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]