My encounter with Sean Connery (sort of)...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net on July 01, 2000 at 01:40:12:

In Reply to: Ok, ok, I've been figured out! :) posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert on July 01, 2000 at 01:00:22:

: He looked a little less "Spielbergian" here but other times he was LITERALLY Spielberg's body double.

He actually does look like a heavier version of Spielberg... which means that I could also say that he looks like a cross between Spielberg and Lucas. :D

Actually, one of my four Humanities teachers in my first two years of college (I took the two-year course from fall of 1989 - spring of 1991... oh man, I'm old! :( ) looked exactly like Sean Connery as seen in The Last Crusade (well, the teacher was actually about ten pounds ligher), although he had an American accent. I didn't say anything aloud about it until one day when I walked into class with my Indy fedora and a brown leather jacket (just to see what would happen). Once the teacher walked in afterwards, he pointed to me and good-naturedly announced, "Class, let's welcome Indiana Jones to the class." After some gentle laughter, he continued, "So Indiana, what brings you to our fine class?"... to which I replied, "I wanted to see what you were up to, dad."

After more gentle laughter from the teacher and the students, the class resumed as normal. After the class, though, a few of the other students mentioned to me that they had thought the teacher looked like Sean Connery but didn't want to say anything... so I guess I wasn't alone in thinking that! :)

I think the whole situation was helped by the fact that this all happened not too long after Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade had played in the theaters, so the "Indiana Jones" image was still fresh on everyone's minds. That, and it was around that period of time that brown leather jackets had come "in style" among the mainstream again (unfortunately for only a short period of time), so wearing a brown leather jacket didn't make me stand out too much (wearing a fedora, on the other hand... ;) ). I'm not so sure I could pull off something like that off successfully today.

-G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]