Indy's guns

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim from deptvass-cp.va.gov on July 25, 2000 at 03:54:04:

In Reply to: Someone else thinks like I do--that's pretty strange. posted by Cueball on July 23, 2000 at 21:40:39:

: Yes!

: Though the Hi-Power is a fantastic pistol, it was just a 9mm (.40-caliber--big deal!), and the 9mm is not an effective round. Yes, everyone knows "shot placement" is the most important thing, but it's not the only thing. I am a big Colt M1911 .45 fan and I insist that it is truly what Indiana Jones would have carried in his gas mask bag (not only because it uses the same ammunition as his revolver, but also because the .45 is the most effective caliber handgun ammunition available--especially in the first half of the 1900s. It's not the most powerful round available and not even the biggest. But it still is the most "effectively shootable" large-caliber handgun round in existence (yes, I know that is subject to debate.)

: And just because the Hi-Power shoots blanks better, I don't think that's good enough reason to presume Indy actually would have carried it. I've read the script and most of the novelization (TERRIBLE!), and I can't even find mention of anything other than generic references to the "pistol" he carried. That just means the prop people were looking to get off easy, maybe? And if Harrison Ford's stuntman was left-handed, does that mean Indiana Jones was left-handed? Yes, I made that up.

: : I agree they are good guns, but still prefer a good 1911 to the Hi-Power. Like a Kimber or something that you KNOW is well made. Plus I prefer the larger .45 to the tiny 9mm. But if you do get a Hi-Power, get it in the .40 S&W like the one you shot, not the 9mm like everyone assumes Indy's blank gun was in Raiders.

: : --the Fiddler

This is my first time and would just like to add my thoughts. Ever since I saw the movie, I was sure Indy's revolver was either a S&W Triple Lock or a 3rd Model Hand Ejector, model 1926 .44 Special. The only difference is the latter doesn't have the 3rd lock at the crane. As to the auto used in the bar scene, it looked like a Colt 1903 .32 automatic to me, but I guess I was wrong. Too bad, because I bought both a Triple Lock (the 1926 was too expensive and harder to find) and a Colt .32. Then a Stetson Indy hat that came out when the movie did. No real point here, just sharing my infatuation with the film, especially the firearms. By the way, traded the S&W for a Browning Hi-Power, too good of a deal to pass up! Thanks for listening.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]