Excellent commentary as always...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cueball from 1Cust31.tnt1.brunswick.ga.da.uu.net on August 17, 2000 at 19:21:16:

In Reply to: To a point posted by Michaelson on August 17, 2000 at 12:36:19:

: I know from my own research that Browning wasn't totally pleased with his 1911 design, and he personally thought that the P-35 was the best semi-auto design he had ever produced, improving the 1911 design immensely. Ironically, Colt refused to accept the P-35 design, and Browning took his show to Belgium and sold his wares overseas. If Colt had played their cards right, the P-35 would be a classic Colt these days. Oh well, hind sight is always 20/20. I'm sure Indy would have carried a .45 ACP in real life myself, as foreign weapons were not that readily available in the US during the 1930's. He would have more than likely carried the Smith and the Colt, as both could fire the .45 ACP, resulting in his having to carry only one size ammunition, and he would have been familiar with both weapons from his prior WWI army experience, as both guns came out of that global conflict, and Indy would have definitly been exposed to them. (Hopefully from the grip end. (grins)) Anyway, you're right, this has been discusses, but it's always good to pull it out and blow the dust off of the discussion now and again. But then, I'm bias to the subject. (grins again!) Regards. Michaelson

Senor Michaelson,

Your analysis and research are above reproach and I always enjoy reading what you have to say about guns. If I told you about my background and what I do now, you would be very complimented (no, I'm not claiming to be an expert about guns, especially as they relate to Indiana Jones).

Yes, we all have personal biases, and mine is in favor of old large caliber, double-action revolvers and the Colt 1911. I just love that gun and that's why I have so many. I also appreciate a good Browning Hi-Power, but I don't like the relatively ineffective 9mm ammunition. It's possibly the funnest gun to plink with, though. History has definitely proven that Colt blundered horribly by sending the world's greatest firearms inventor overseas. It's too bad Colt didn't check with me first, eh?

Thanks for your posting.

Cueball

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: