Re: Practice, Baby, Practice...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by New Jersey Hughes from h186.n-D1A278.sac.verio.net on September 22, 2000 at 11:07:21:

In Reply to: HOw does Indy hold his breathe on the U-Boat in "Raiders?" posted by Dr.Jones on September 22, 2000 at 02:15:58:

For some reason, I'm reminded of an old Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon, wherein Bullwinkle, in an effort to rescue someone (I think), sneaks into a house by snaking through the bathtub faucet. The rescuee, upon seeing a full-grown (albeit cartoon) moose come out of his faucet, exclaims, "How did you DO that?!?" Bullwinkle: "I held my breath!"

Indy lashing himself to the periscope with his whip is indeed how Indy got to the island, as others have mentioned. If you want to see what it looked like, there's a photo of that scene being shot in the MAKING OF RAIDERS paperback.

I DO remember an interesting (and logical) alternate theory that a fan posited in an issue of STARLOG waaayyy back in 1981. He pointed out that, in 1936, a state of war did not exist yet, and since that were in International Waters, there would be no need to submerge. Submarines don't HAVE to run underwater, they just fulfill their missions that way. It's cheaper on fuel to run on the surface, and you can give the crew fresh air (a commodity on a diesel sub) for a whole voyage.

Of course, my German's so rusty, I can't tell if that 'sub montage' in the film is actually a diving procedure, or just frenetic German activity. If they DID run on the surface, it's an interesting mental exercise as to how Indy would remain undetected by Kriegsmarine submariners going about deck duties.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]