Good info...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.46 on September 22, 2000 at 17:32:34:

In Reply to: Episode 2, Chapter 2. posted by Michigan Smith on September 22, 2000 at 17:03:30:

Actually, the one who spends all the time in and out is Brody, but thanks for the kind words. I've been keeping the update of these details down myself - I didn't want to overload the forum. Everything MI reports is accurate as to my understanding, although I believe there may have had an additional 5 sales in the last day or so. Glad to see there is some enthusiasm from the die-hards out there.

Yes, the jackets will be available in a variety of leathers, but there will be a special order charge for anything but lambskin and horsehide. They will not have enough horsehide to offer these for a bit. A new shipment of veg tanned mahogany and russet horsehide is coming in from Italy soon. More on their horsehide later.

Mine is actually going to be veg tanned mahogany horsehide - they had just enough good stuff to do one, and I'll be the test case for the horsehide. I believe they are cutting the hide today? It is supposed to be ready late next week - I'm pretty jazzed about it! I also asked for a nickel zipper, just for kicks, though I still understand the brass is supposed to be superior in quality and is more environmentally friendly.

Back to their horsehide? I had a nice talk today with their leather products manager, who gave me the scoop on where they get their horsehide. It's worth passing on, as it speaks to the quality of their products, the materials they are made from, and the business philosophy of the company. Much of the horsehide sold commercially in the US comes from South America from horses that worked for a living. These hides tend to have a lot of blemishes and require quite a bit of finish when tanned and dyed. They have such a heavy coat of surface material put on that it is difficult if not impossible to see the grain in the hide. FS buys their horsehide from Italy, from a tannery that buys only hides from animals raised to be consumed - lots of horsemeat on the tables in France and Belgium. Anyway, these hides are of much higher quality, have fewer imperfections, and therefore require less finish to be applied. The result is a really nice looking hide where the grain is visible and which folds and drapes the way fine leather should.

I look forward to getting my FS jacket - I'll be sure to give a complete review both here and within the IndyGear FAQ.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: