A theory...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Freudenthal from ws126-252.critz.msstate.edu on September 23, 2000 at 12:33:26:

In Reply to: Re: Also, don't we first see the island base through the sub's periscope--so it was submerged? (nm) posted by Roses4jezabel@aol.com on September 23, 2000 at 02:16:56:

Ok, I will buy this explanation, as it makes the most sense--but not complete sense. Why run submerged but keep your periscope up constantly? First, I believe this limits the sub's speed--the sub cannot travel underwater very fast at all with it's periscope up, or it would break the periscope (max periscope depth is like 40-60 ft, I think). Subs don't cruise just beneath the surface--they need some depth to operate in. But this is Hollywood, and they probably didn't think this far (who would, except us?)

Anyway, my theory is that whenever the sub surfaced, Indy would climb down and use his whip to latch onto the sub via one of the many draining ports along the side.

: The sub actually does go under, save for the periscope. In both the film and novel there is a really tense moment as the sub goes under in which Indy is frantically trying to avoid drowning. It holds its depth, leaving just the top of the periscope, and Indy's head, out of the water. As for how he got off of the sub without being spotted, I'll have to look into it for you. In the novel, I think he untied himself a few yards from shore and swam in. In the movie there just didn't seem to be a whole lot of people around. A secret island in the middle of nowhere; not much need for real tight security.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]