Re: Good Raiders handgun Halloween warning

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Elliott from 24.41.0.151 on September 27, 2000 at 22:19:32:

In Reply to: Good Raiders Handgun Prop Alternative on Ebay... posted by Patterson on September 27, 2000 at 20:13:52:

: The prop gun is sitting around $25, and it has the right look and fills the RotLA holster, and Halloween's a' coming!

Greetings, fellow Indy fans. Wanted to repeat a word of caution that has cropped up here and elsewhere relating to Indy's firearms. There are a lot of shrill anti-gun folks and humorless law enforcement officers out there who frown upon realistic looking firearms in public even during Halloween celebrations.

I've seen people who are clearly in costume turned away from public street events because they had real-looking weapons - even holstered ones. I've also seen a de-militarized pistol confiscated by an overeager cop.

[Before anyone starts in on me about not respecting cops and the difficult job they do, hold your fire. I've worked for "America's Most Wanted," with the FBI and other public safety groups, and I DO understand the tightrope they walk. Doesn't mean there aren't unreasonable, humorless deputies out there who hassle costumed party-goers.]

Since I've already launched the buzzkill boulder down the track, I'll also mention that drunken strangers seem to love grabbing Indy whips (Zorro swords, Robin Hood bows, Gandalf staffs, etc.) and describing wide, unpredictable arcs with them. Forewarned is forearmed.

Thus endeth sermon - now get out there and have a good time anyway. :->

Tim

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: