Re: Pleats on Wested, Cooper, Flight Suits

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bo Walker from spider-ta023.proxy.aol.com on September 28, 2000 at 16:14:04:

In Reply to: Pleats on Wested, Cooper, Flight Suits posted by California Smith on September 28, 2000 at 13:58:24:

Greetings Gentlemen,
I collect old Navy G-1 jackets but have been visiting this site with the idea of ordering an Indy jacket from Flight Suits if and when they are available in horsehide. Thanks for all the info that comes up almost daily.
Just a few observations on the pleats and gussets you guys have been talking about of late. The G-1 has them also, but then the lining also has pleats and gussets. Supposedly if the lining doesn't have them also, it defeats their purpose. Can anyone tell me if the Wested or Flight Suits jacket has such a lining?
Also, as was mentioned earlier, the Navy jacket has elastic straps across the back. Two connecting the pleats of the jacket leather and two connecting the pleats of the lining.
Thought the above might be of interest since Indy's jacket looks to me to be a close relative to the Navy flight jacket.
I also read in one of my jacket books that Deborah Nadoolman came up with the jacket design and fabricated the original while on location in France. And that she aged it herself "in the pool using a chrome brush, sandpaper and Harrison Ford's Swiss army knife."
Don't know how much truth there is to it, but was surprised to find info on Indy's jacket in a book about A-2s and G-1s.

Regards,
Bo

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: