Re: Yeah, and my dad can beat up your dad. You're in time out, when we're ready to talk like adults again we'll continue this.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from 24.116.26.222 on November 01, 2000 at 00:16:07:

In Reply to: Yeah, and my dad can beat up your dad. You're in time out, when we're ready to talk like adults again we'll continue this. posted by Joe D. on October 31, 2000 at 22:09:58:

: nm

You know, I am probably old enough to be your father. You around 28 or so? Of course this doesn't mean anything, as there are older ignorant folks too. Wisdom doesn't always come with age, but in many cases it does. My opinions are based solely on my life experiences. They are probably different than yours. But one thing is for certain, I do have more of these experiences, and the opportunity to learn from them. I too was in the USN, so we do have at least one thing in common. Of course that was 30 years ago, and a lifetime away it seems. Is this adult enough so far? You know, you may very well be a Navy pilot, and then again you may not be. You could be nothing more than a simple liar. I don't really know, but if you are indeed an "officer and a gentleman", then please accept my humble apologies for even thinking such a thought. I will have to admit, your original post seems contrary to the demeanor of an officer, or at least the ones I was aquainted with years ago. But I am aware that things change. My original statement concerning the motivation behind becoming a cop is based not only upon my personal experience, but years of carefully observing human behavior, including my own behavior. I have two retired cops in my family, one from the Highway Patrol and one from a local city police force. These men are very old now, and many of my ideas were germinated through listening to them talk of the old days and other cops they knew over the years. I have given this subject a lot of serious thought, the question is, have you? Like it or not, sometimes, the testosterone levels in folks your age has a tendency to over ride the intellect. I know this from personal experience. And one day, if you live long enough, you will know this as well. Whether you like it or not, there are multitudes of cops that are in that proffession simply because they like the power trip. And yes, there are some that are in it for noble resasons. I personally know a man of this class. But that doesn't change the facts. I say the only way to safeguard against this is to draft our police forces, so we get normal human beings enforcing the laws that are essential for an orderly society. To me this is nothing more than common sense. Of course I would bring the military draft back as well. But that is another subject entirely. One last thought. If there was a major war going on that threatened this country, I would then agree with the servicemen you alluded to earlier. If you were of good physical health, you would be unpatriotic if you didn't enlist in the military. Unless of course, you had a job that was essential to the war effort. Or unless of course you were too cowardly to defend your family, because that is what it really boils down to. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]