Re: Custom Hatter

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.46 on November 01, 2000 at 14:21:39:

In Reply to: Custom Hatter posted by Indiana Adrian on November 01, 2000 at 12:31:49:

: Who owns a hat from the Custom Hatter? Is his hat better than the HJ or a PB? Like which movie-hat does it look?
: If you have one please post also some pictures.

: Cheers,
: Indiana Adrian

While I do not own one, I was fortunate enough to be able to have one on loan for a time to compare to the PB. I have likewise had access to the HJ Poet for similar comparisons.

The White hat is much like the PB in concept - custom made to your head shape and to the look you desire. The look acheived by Gary White on the specimen I had access to was very, very good - a dead-ringer for the RotLA hat. It is a very soft and fine fur felt hat, and you definitely pay for that! White has claimed he made the hats for Last Crusade, though HJ hotly disputes this claim. Personally, I believe HJ on this.

In my book, the Peters Brothers hat is superior to either the HJ or GW hats I've examined. It is less expensive, though superior based on my own personal criterea - look, construction, durability, and quality of construction. Also, I'm not too impressed with the customer service at HJ - they've been downright rude to me. On GW - I would hesitate simply because of their claim to have provided hats for LC.

The PB is genuinly one of the last bargains we have out there.

One other thing to consider? If you wear a smaller hat size, the Indiana Miller is a good alternative at $115. The felt is not nearly as rigid and durable as the PB, and the cost differential is only $70, but I know sometimes that is important.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: