Re: Possible gear inaccuracies? A couple of things I've always wondered about....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dakota Ellison from spider-mtc-ta022.proxy.aol.com on December 15, 2000 at 10:18:07:

In Reply to: Possible gear inaccuracies? A couple of things I've always wondered about.... posted by Shawnkara on December 15, 2000 at 03:44:02:

: The first is the Alden boot. In the '30's they did not have the technology to produce molded rubber soles with tread. Even in the films it appears that HF's Aldens have been fitted with treadless, pressed leather soles like you would find on a cowboy boot. Maybe Aldens are made that way as well, I don't own a pair so I don't really know. I'm just assuming they're treaded.
: The second is the bag. Has anyone else ever noticed that Indy's bag (in Raiders, anyway) seems way too big to be an acctual MKVII? In close up shots it looks like one but in long shots (check the Cairo fight scene) it is much larger. Perhaps it was fabricated by the production, based on an original?

It's the real thing, but in the street scenes it is either heavily starched and ironed flat or has a square flat piece of rubber or something inside it to maintain its shape and causing it to look bigger. Also note that at the begining of the fight in the market, Indy's bag is on backwards, with the back of the bag outwards and the buckle on the strap on his back. Its just a second or two, then the bag is on right again. In all of this you can still spot the lanyard retainer disk or the vent holes.
Cheers,
Ellison

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: