Re: A simple fact about us, SHAWNKARA, read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn004a-p2-056.cybertours.com on January 14, 2001 at 22:19:49:

In Reply to: Re: A simple fact about us, SHAWNKARA, read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! posted by Bellosh on January 14, 2001 at 07:32:27:

I would like to echo this sentiment. I think that it is easy to feel that we are not important customers. I sometimes feel that way myself, but it is also true that if they didn't want to sell to us, they wouldn't waste their time. The fact remains that Peter Botwright bends over backward for a single fan, replacing collar facings, making CUSTOM sized jackets for people who then bad mouth him on this forum because it may not get in their hands in a month. Oh no! Also, how many people here have stated that they have either called Noel Howard or visited his shop and he spent a great deal of time out of his busy day to talk Indy with them? I know I've called him quite a bit. The fact he remembers my name tells me that I can't be all that unimportant. I also wanted to order a custom made Ep. I Obi Wan costume from him and sent him about a dozen photos and he personally spent several hours researching the materials for me. Lowly me. Poor, individual, scrimp-and-save-to-buy-this-stuff me. And when he sent me a polaroid of the boot he had made, and told me the cost, and I had to tell him that I couldn't afford it, he gladly discontinued the process of making the costume, even though he'd spent a great deal of time on it at that point. Mr. Swales at Herbert Johnson knows me by name and has sent me two new lengths of ribbon, and a new hat lining for my HJ hats, and another lining is on its way, all for FREE! In fact, when I recently called to order the lining, and they said they'd send one, five days later I get a letter in the mail from them on their letterhead that said that they apologize for the letter and no lining, but they are out of white linings at the moment due to the holidays and that they will ship one out as soon as they get one. I've got to tell you that that letter took someone's time, and cost half a pound to mail. That is just as personal service as I have EVER received from a company in the United States, and in most cases, MORE personal. I was actually thinking the other day that while they make take more time to arrive, I appreciate the products I've received from the United Kingdom and Europe. They come very gingerly packaged with great things inside like personal notes on letterhead that say things like "With Compliments." You just don't get details like that from most places these days. I think we in the U.S. have especially become a nation of impatient people. Fast food and microwaves have made us want everything handed to us within 30 seconds. I am not pointing a finger at anyone here, so please don't interpret as such. I just wish that we could all (myself included) be a little more patient with this hobby. It becomes stressful and not too much fun anymore when we derive this much anxiety over it. Sorry to ramble.

Greg

: Shanwnkara, I'm British, and I was ashamed to read your email - bad service, is bad service is bad service, whether the shopkeeper is selling to 'royal heads' or what. Don't stand for it, get exactly what you want. And make especially sure that a snotty British tailor gives you PRECISELY what you've asked for. Whether you're a fan boy or the Queen of England they should be serving their customers equally well that is. England's got a lot to learn from the States in this respect.

: : Though it is unfair we're perceived as fat, have- no-life, live-in-our-parents'-basement fanboy geeks. It's like the tired cliche that people use to define Trekkies, or Trekkers, depending on where you stand. Herbert Johnson caters to England's upper class and even to the Royal family, so Iv'e read. Peter Botwright works mainly for the film industry. I know these are businesses that offer a specific product of their own free will and all ethical practices of business should be adhered to, no need to remind me of that. The fact is most people have no interest in ANYTHING the way a hardcore a fan does. The idea that we would pay so much for a useless thing from a movie is a joke to most people, including the people that make those useless things. Most people live by a simple frame of what they perceive as logic: "I lead a dog's life; if I can't eat it or f*&k it, I piss on it", and they'll never get us. A jaded view, I know and sadly, it's also true. When you're making hats for royal heads and filling orders for a production company that orders 50 or 60 of something in one shot the lone 'geek' is not, nor will we ever be, a priority. Question is, do we love Indy enough to put up with all thier shit to get what we want? Yes, I think we do :). Just my two cents.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]