Well...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.112 on February 05, 2001 at 11:21:43:

In Reply to: Disney Cuts Off Indy Mail Order, and I'm not happy posted by Micah on February 04, 2001 at 22:34:09:

As far as Lucasfilms IP items is concerned - a sale may not be a sale. Relations between Disney and Lucasfilms cooled considerable following the opening of the attraction in Anaheim back in 1995. For some time there has been a restriction on sales of Lucasfilms items outside of the Star Trader or Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost - Disney has to pay a royalty on all these items, and has creatively looked for ways around it using their own IP. Case in point - those "Adventurer Mickey" beanies? Technically, they are not supposed to be Indiana Jones - TECHNICALLY. Anyway, part of the whole Indy ride deal was to support the store with inventory. Anybody who has been to the park will tell you the selection has sucked for the past 4 or 5 years. The jackets are gone from Anaheim. Anyway, I've ordered things from the Adventure Outpost in the past, and have always initially gotten a reserved response - "I'll have to check to see if we can see those items mail-order..." I'm thinking Lucasfilms does not get royalty on mail-order items, or restricts sale of its IP via mail-order to other channels, i.e. Fantastic Media?

When you've visited the Adventure Outpost as much as I have, you get the distinct feeling that these toys were somewhat of a half-assed attempt for Disney to say, "See, we're supporting the store..."

Semi educated speculation and MHO.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: