Agreed with, but on one point

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on February 21, 2001 at 13:35:30:

In Reply to: Collectors VS Fans posted by Hoth on February 21, 2001 at 13:20:51:

: I think it all depends on what your intentions are for buying in the first place. Some people want the closest to authenticity, some want the closest in appearance. Anybody who has ever collected real movie props, wardrobe, and replicas, knows that the majority of the real stuff doesn't quite look like what you see in the movies. The real stuff is usually pretty cheap looking, whereas replicas were made specifically to look like what you see on screen.

: Companies like Wested and HJ aren't trying to sell exact replicas, they're selling authenticity. Basically they're doing it for the hardcore collector and not the hardcore fan.

:
: Hoth

In the movie industry, the credo has always been that if the actor didn't FEEL like the character they were playing, they wouldn't perform to the best of their ability. I've found that true especially in regards to the costume end of the industry, as the costume items are almost ALWAYS as complete and top quality as one can find anywhere. Unless the fedora and jacket are the best one can get, the actor just doesn't play the part as convincingly as he/she could. I mean, look at some of the dresses of old Hollywood. A lot of the gowns used real diamonds and gems for the costumes. Who would REALLY know they were real, except the actor? My point? The real stuff is usually the best looking/made stuff in the long run. Now being "correct" and repeatable to the actual item is what has been difficult to achieve, but as you point out, they were made for the picture and the collector, not necessiarily the "fan", and that's where the roads fork. If you're wanting the image, go to the vendor who caters to that group. If you're wanting correct to the actual maker of the item, then go to the original manufacturer. Sometimes they meet, but it's on rare occasion it happens. The only one that comes to mind that comes about as close to the original items would be Noel Howards stuff, and he was the original maker of his offerings for the movies. As usual, just my opinion as well. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]