Suggestion

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on February 23, 2001 at 12:39:21:

In Reply to: "Old Cow" Indy from US Wings arrived posted by Michaelson on February 21, 2001 at 20:06:24:

This is to those who decide to obtain this jacket, and like me, decide that they want to just keep it the way it is, let me suggest a leather treatment that I used on mine last night that did a perfect job. Where I use Pecards leather dressing, as well as their motorcycle leather lotion, and Lexol, extensively on all my other jackets, these products will darken this jacket. I used Scotch Gard Protector for Leather, which comes in the brown can. Yes, I know there are states that no longer have this product available, but it is still available here in Tennessee as a standard stock item, so check your local Wal-Mart. This Scotch Gard can be used liberally all over the jacket, won't affect it's breathability, completely water proofs the jacket, as well as supplies a stain blocker, and once dry the jacket returns to it's original coloring. All you have to do is take a clean dry rag and buff to a slight shine. I used about 2/3's of a can on mine last night, and this morning you can't tell it was ever done, but the results are dead on for putting a protective coating on the jacket. The Scotch Gard will not stop any later use of the standard Pecards dressing should I decide to apply it later. Just a suggestion, but one that works for this particular jacket. Regards. Michaelson

: Like Austin and MK have stated, the pictures at the site don't do the jackets justice. This jacket has the appearance of a no nonsense type jacket, evenly distressed over the entire jacket surface, which leads me to believe that the leather was distressed BEFORE the jacket was assembled. It has the A-2 type mil-spec lining with the inside pocket on the left side,leather facing at the zipper, and the straps are with the D-rings and pull toward the front as they should. I can see this being a perfect "canvas" to create what ever distressed version of the jacket you want, as just a touch of Pecards dressing in the right places to raise the brown back to an even coloring and leaving the already distressed areas alone will do the trick. Excellent piece of merchandise, and well worth the investment in my humble opinion. I like it, and I'm not a "pre-distressed" item fan by any means, as you well know from my writings, but this one is definitely an exception to that rule, and a cut above what I've handled to date. Highly recommend. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]