Re: You chose..............wisely

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.112 on March 09, 2001 at 11:28:21:

In Reply to: You chose..............wisely posted by Junior on March 08, 2001 at 20:49:30:

: WOW!!! That is a nice lookin' jacket.

: What is this special thin veg goat and why did you use it instead of the lamb?

: Your sleeve length looks perfect!
: Good job!

: Where everybody knows your name,

: jr

The veg goat used was "special" in that it was a bit thinner than they like to use on their other jackets - compared to other veg tanned leather - but is actually the same thickness as their lambskin. The result is a very durable leather with the "correct" thickness. Also, this particular veg tanned goat is the perfect color of seal brown. Honestly, when I first looked at a sample, it really stuck in my head, but again this was their standard thicker veg goat. Later, Dave mentioned he had some that ran a bit thin for them, and I jumped all over it. I've asked that they try and stock the thinner variety.

Why thinner? Well, the characteristics of our beloved jacket make it a bit problematic when using heavier skins. The side straps get too thick and difficult to properly configure through the rings. Also, when the straps are too thick, you can really feel them when you're driving, sitting, whatever. Also, with the heavier skins, the cargo pockets become very thick - sticking out from the shell.

Hope this helps - cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: