Bricks, Goats and Swindoll

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MK from adsl-63-194-18-73.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on May 12, 2001 at 11:57:44:

In Reply to: Okay, MK, set me straight... posted by schwammy on May 12, 2001 at 00:24:40:

: Anyway, can you age a jacket and still have the leather be protected from rain, or is that a contradiction? 
Yes. I just remove color. I don't damage the leather.

: I guess my other question is do you do the alcohol rubdown and the acetone before the Lexol or after? Also, did you sandpaper yours or just do the acetone? 
Acetone removes the color TOO WELL on the FS chrome goat. It just removes it. I only used acetone on the seems and edges with a q-tip. Alcohol didn't really work. I found a commercial make-up brush cleaner (available at Frend's) worked better. I could lighten the amout of color. I don't use sandpaper anymore. 

: And finally, I think I read on your web page that the chrome goat aged the easiest, but then I thought I saw you say somewhere else that you can't push the color around on the goatskin as easily as the lamb. 
The chrome goat aged the easiest of the FS leathers. Wested's leather is dyed with a different process. Peter's lamb is very easy to age. I really like being able to push the color. I have not found the right solvent to do that with the FS. I need to find out what vehicle (solvent) that they use to dye the FS goat.

Chuck Swindoll is awesome. He is one the only radio guys I like. I have a devotional by him too. Very wise.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]