The Legend of Beale's Fortune

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy Coil from rsvp-eli-067a.northlink.com on June 01, 2001 at 00:08:33:

I saw this on a special on Fox (shows how credible I am):

There's a legend in Virginia, about a man named Beale who found a stash of gold and silver in his beloved county. A few years after he found it, he decided to move out west, entrusting his fortune to a close friend with the instructions: "If it doesn't look like I'm coming back, you can have it." Well, ten years after Beale left, no one had heard anything from him, thus his friend took the riches and buried them in the county (yes county, not country) somewhere, he then developed a special code, three pages of seemingly random numbers, that supposedly gave the exact location and contents of the gold. For years, no-one knew what the numbers were. Then, in the 50's or something, a man took the Constitution and matched the numbers with the words in it. For example, as we all know, the Constitution begins with the words "We the people of the United States". Well He figured out that the number 1 represented the word "We" and 2 represented "the" and so on. Using this system, they derived that the treasure is somewhere within a 4 mile radius of a tavern in the town where Beale's friend lived. It's never been discovered.

Now, this is just a summary of the story, but if you were to get the details, this could make for a very Indy-esque adventure, or City Slickers 2, it's all in how you live it. So, anyone in Virginia, check it out, it might be a cool way to search for "fortune and glory".

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]