My Indy 4 proposal

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marhala Bartender from dix1-32.essex1.com on June 20, 2001 at 11:12:07:

In Reply to: Indy 4 Idea posted by Senor Palomar on June 20, 2001 at 10:03:42:

First off, I think it was a little ethnocentric to assume that merely because an artifact would belong to Mohammed, that its intrinsic importance or power would be less than say an artifact from Jesus. Despite what this country seems to spout as the truth, Christianity isn't the most valid or correct religion out there, and the other ones DO matter. I am sure you didn't mean this to insult, however, and I agree that no more artifacts dealing with ANY religion should be the focus of the next film- I just have many Muslim friends, and family for that matter, and am a little sensitive to people regarding it as a second class religion.

An idea I would like to see, and one I think could genuinely work, is also one I have been slowly making my own little short story/script for in my spare time. My idea works on a few principles though:

1. I assume that only Harrison Ford will play Indy, so that will make him fairly aged. If for some reason they would ever cast another person, it wouldn't work (and I would have to quit being an Indyfan).
2. I place Indy's character at an age close to Harrison's real age- in the mid-fifties.
3. I wanted a artifact that maintains a fairly wide base in the familiarity of the general public- namely, I don't want Indy's last adventure to be something obscure like the Sankara Stones in Temple which the American public has no knowledge of.

Since Indy is aging, I thought he should tackle the location of the Fountain of Youth- but not quite the traditional story of it. So far in the story I put together, I placed Indy at the beginning of the story deep within the depths of another undisclosed tomb. As the viewer would move past all the booby traps already set off, we would finally catch up to Indy ready to obtain his prize (the usual beginning adventure in each film, that is fairly unassociated with the rest of the film). After he grabs it, Indy experiences his closest call to date, being nearly killed/crushed, and barely escaping death (I don't know we could make a closer call to death than all the things he has already gone through). He begins to question how many days, if any, are left to his adventuring career since his age is now clearly becoming a hindrance. Through an undetermined (as of yet) series of events, Indy is made aware of and coerced into seeking out the Fountain of Youth after new knowledge of its existence is revealed.

I would like to tie the Fountain of Youth with several cultures, if possible. Definitely, I would like it to be connected to the Central and South American high civilizations, somehow worked into the mythology. If someone wanted to take it on a grand scale, they could connect the pyramids at Giza to those in Central America, attributing it to a group of people granted eternal youth and able to make the journey across the ocean(although as an archaeology student, I must detest this theory, I know the public always likes those outlandish, all encompassing theories).

This is just the foundation for what I think would be a fitting end to Indy films. I've been working on making it into a comicbook/story board format to help me visualize it.

Let me know what you think.

The Barkeep.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: