Re: Strap buckle question

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on November 12, 1998 at 09:48:10:

In Reply to: Re: Strap buckle question posted by IJFan on November 12, 1998 at 09:40:57:

: I went through this recently too, so I'll expand a bit on the thread below.

: There are two types of buckles you're likely to find at tandy. Both of them have three bars across, one will have a moving clasp bar (like a "normal" belt buckle). The other will have a fixed stud protruding from the back of the center bar.

: I felt I could modify the first type to better suit my needs.

: The first thing you need to do is to take a pair of pliers and remove the moving clasp bar. In theory, you then simply rivet one end of the strap around the center section and you're set, but I found that this didn't necessarily provide a very slip-less solution. So I did the following:

: 1. Make sure you've folded the leather over the center bar so that the rough, back side is out. You want rough, unfinished leather sliding against same for maximum grip.
: 2. This still didn't give me a truly slip free solution, so I put a bolster (one wrap of strap leather, held in place with electrical tape) around the center bar before riveting the strap around it. This made the strap travel through a more aggressive corner in the strap and helps it grip better.

: Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps.

: -IJFan

Sure does, thanks. I'll have a better idea what you're describing when my Tandy catalog arrives, and I can see the buckles you're referring to. I've been using single bar buckles with the buckle bar removed for several years. I haven't had to make any adjustments to any of them to date. We'll see what we shall see. Thanks again. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]