Indy IV Update: The "ball is rolling." Plus: Indy 4 starring... Survivor II's Colby Donaldson?!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Big Red from aig65386y28se.ab.hsia.telus.net on July 07, 2001 at 16:59:07:

In today's edition of The Edmonton Journal, there were two articles featuring speculation about Indiana Jones 4. Here's the first article about Indy IV:

BALL IS ROLLING FOR NEW INDIANA JONES
Ford, Spielberg will plan 4th film

Mike Szymanski
Zap2it.com
Hollywood

It looks as if all the stars have aligned to kick off the next instalment of that reluctant adventurer, Indiana Jones. Harrison Ford, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas have all agreed to plan for a fourth film.

Kathleen Kennedy, the longtime producer who works with Spielberg, says the plans "look good" for a fourth Indiana Jones film, nearly a dozen years after Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade from 1989, which followed Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in 1984 and Raiders of the Lost Ark in 1981.

"We don't have a script of the fourth Indiana yet," explains Kennedy.

Ford, who will be 59 on July 13, is said to want to do the movie, and Lucas and Spielberg are already hoping to work with Paramount pictures so that many of the former players are involved in the next instalment.

New York Post's Page Six reports that Ford wants "at least $25 million," and predicts the entire film would cost more than $150 million U.S.

Rumours are that three scripts are floating around, including a search for the lost city of Atlantis (recently explored in Disney's animated Atlantis: The Lost Empire), as well as a plot where Jones searches for his lost brother (his father was played by Sean Conney in the last film).

Bonnie Curtis, another longtime associate with Spielberg, also confirms: "It looks like there will be another Indiana Jones - everybody wants to do it."

Well, that was basically a variant of the same spin we've been hearing, but Ford's $25 million figure is new.

The other article was not directly Indy-related, as it was about Survivor II's star Colby Donaldson's preparation for a film career. Apparently, Steven Spielberg himself was quite a fan of the Survivor series, and was impressed by Donaldson. Here is an excerpt:

The two gabbed about the intricacies of Survivor before the most famous director in the world asked Donaldson aboud his future plans. And?

"He didn't bring me there to offer me a part or anything like that. But I owe a lot to Spielberg," Donaldson says.

"He made a few phone calls and tried to open a few doors for me. I appreciate that because I think he's a good person, not because he's wanting to put me in a film and make a buck off me."

Still, Spielberg has indicated an interest in making another Indiana Jones film, and 58-year-old Harrison Ford reportedly wants no part of it. At times on Survivor 2, Donaldson seemed positively Indiana Jones-esque in both appearance and demeanor.

"I always loved the Indiana Jones movies, but this is the first I've even thought about it," Donaldson says when the subject is raised. "If I can get one or two supporting roles under my belt before something like Indiana Jones comes along, then that would be fantastic."

It seems obvious that this is bull****, as an Indiana Jones movie with Colby AS Indy would, in my humble opinion, fail miserably, but who knows? Maybe he could be Indy's son as that sort of thing has been heatedly rumoured? I wouldn't bet on it, though.

-The Big Red

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: