Re: Indy on DVD

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on November 23, 1998 at 10:08:48:

In Reply to: Re: Indy on DVD posted by Mithrandir on November 22, 1998 at 13:46:33:

: : : I think Lucasfilm is waiting for HDTV DVD standard to settle.

:
: : : Where did you hear that? And are you saying the current DVD standard would not be compatible once HDTVs comes? Considering the rapidly expanding DVD market, I would be surprised if they are not compatible even through a conversion of some kind. Also, Paramount (who has released some DVD's already- Top Gun, Star Trek First Contact...) has nothing to gain but profit from a release to the current DVD market. There are so many lesser movies being released on DVD, it is frustrating that Lucas and Spielberg are holding back. (Not to mention making it a harder decision to actually purchase a player.) Even if the accepted standard changes, all the studios would re-release their catalogs anyway. Perhaps just wishful thinking on my part- belloq

: Speaking of "nothing to gain but profit", anyone else noticed that Men in Black and the two Jurrasic Parks, all of which command at least $250 million, aren't on DVD yet? Neither are a lot of Best Pictures. Just an observation. As far as Indy on DVD, it's not unrealistic because after all, Paramount IS on the DVD bandwagon. There's hope.

: Check six.

: -Mithrandir-

With all the alphabet soup on the new and upcoming formats, and putting myself in the studio's shoes, I'd be afraid to make a decision as to what format to release what movies in myself. The old Beta vs. VHS fight still burns in the minds (and pocketbooks) of the studios who got burned when they didn't chose wisely back then. Seems like the electronics engineers are so busy trying to outdo the last format, and improve the product so quickly that they're not allowing the market to catch up and settle. Folks just aren't wanting to invest in something that may be the flavor of the month now, but totally antiquated next in several more. As usual the market will eventually drive the demand, but until the market has a handle on what heck it's driving, I don't think you'll see a whole lot of movement made on the part of the studios to release much more than they already have. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]