Patterson's whip photo is TOD. Yes, my DM whip has short handle too...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by belloq from spider-wn081.proxy.aol.com on August 14, 2001 at 00:58:51:

In Reply to: Similar Suspicions posted by Austin Powers on August 13, 2001 at 17:06:55:

I believe Patterson's photo of the whip and photo in the post above is from TOD, not Raiders. Wasn't this sold by an ill child who had received the whip as a gift from Ford while visiting the set? Or is it the one which was sold in the Charity auction in NYC? Anyway, the dark brown color and the photo denotes it's almost certainly from TOD, despite any auction house description which is almost always slightly inaccurate...

I am also in agreement that my DM 10 footer recently received has a handle which is at least 3/4 inch shorter than any of the actual Indiana Jones whips I have seen at auction. When one pays pays $605 for a replica, even though hand made, it better be exactly like the one in the film (and at least like the one pictured on his site.) But the whip I received is not. At this point, 20 years after the film, and many years into searching for these items, and after DM increasing the price 30% in two years, I think we have a right to demand accuracy in these replicas claiming to be "used in the Indiana Jones films."

belloq

: First off, I can tell you that the auctioned whip in the photograph CLEARLY has a longer handle than my DM. I've heard other people mention this fact as well, but that doesn't really bother me. It just seems odd that all of a sudden, David Morgan would take away a good 2+" off the handles.

: Secondly, the whip pictured seems way too dark to have been "natural tan" to begin with. I've always had doubts as to the color claims. My DM is natural tan, and I've seen the whips of others who've "sun-tanned" theirs, and none have achieved the even level of rich, dark brown as the one auctioned. The color more closely resembles my "dark brown" Mark Allen Indy whip. I know SOME of the movie whips were obviously tan to begin with, but then there are some, particularly in 'Temple', that I feel were darker from the get-go.

: Anyway, about the plait business, I've always wondered about that as well. After owning a DM and now a MA, I still feel that Indy's whips were "smoother", if you will. What I mean it, my whips aren't quite as snake-like as his were. You can clearly feel the plaits when running your hand along it, whereas Indy's whip, at least in photos, seems like it'd be almost impossible to feel individual plaits to the touch.

: I guess we'll never know until we can see and inspect a 16-plaiter, or an actual movie whip. But that $750 price is just INSANE. For that amount, the sumbitch had beeter have been IN the movies.

: Austin Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]