Non-Indy: Any fans of "The Emperor" of filmaking?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Belosch from ppp-206-170-6-198.rdcy01.pacbell.net on August 25, 2001 at 23:46:51:

...Well, if you're a fan of Lucas and Spielberg, you must acquaint yourself with the works of the great Akira Kurosawa. Wait a minute now - wait, before you say anything, let me first explain: if the name "Kurosawa" brings to mind films that are only appropriate for pretentious art-house snobs who expound upon cinemAH over their cinnamon cappucinos, you might want to reconsider. Both Lucas and Spielberg worshipped A.K., and acknowledged the enormous influence his films had on their own moviemaking (which is very apparent). Lucas cites The Hidden Fortress as the primary inspiration for Star Wars.
Also, in that great Pinnacle of Filmmaking that is The Seven Samurai (remade as The Magnificent Seven), when you see the proud and duty-bound Samurai Warriors, you'll recognize that they're the forerunners of Lucas's Jedi Knights. And when the wizened village elder is on-screen, tell me that you don't see the character of Yoda, in his first incarnation.
Additionally, A.K. shares with Spielberg a flawless sense of camera composition - he's a visual poet - and a talent for making action sequences "flow" in a way that's exciting and comprehensible. There's also a lot of humor in that movie that's warm, humane, and even "childlike." I knew that Spielberg was influenced by such figures as Hitchcock and David Lean; I only recently discovered what a huge debt he owes to Kurosawa as well.
Another of my favorites is Yojimbo. In this movie (remade as A Fistful of Dollars and Last Man Standing), the great actor Toshiro Mifune plays a wandering Samurai who swaggers, "Western-Style," into a town controlled by two warring factions, and turns the situation to his own advantage. As the hero/anti-hero Sanjuro, Mifune absolutely rocks! He's every bit the equal of good old Clint himself. And there's even a plausible way that the "sword-fighter vs. gun-fighter" scenario seen in Raiders can have an entirely different outcome. Indy would have his hands full with this character!
As a final note, it's worth mentioning that, as a tribute to Kurosawa, Lucas originally wanted the actor Mifune - a "regular" in many of AK's films - to portray Obi-Wan Kenobi! And Spielberg did cast Mifune as the U-boat commander in 1941. Now, that turned out to be a hollow tribute indeed, based on how the movie turned out, but hey, his heart was in the right place!
Anyway, some people may never warm up to Kurosawa, but if you can get over an aversion to B&W movies with subtitles and give these films a chance, I think you'll recognize his genius.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]