I love root beer too...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from user-2iveu96.dialup.mindspring.com (165.247.121.38) on Sunday, October 14, 2001 at 11:12am :

In Reply to: Back from the Island, and with a book report. posted by Operator Jake from 206-13-102-157.ded.pacbell.net (206.13.102.157) on Saturday, October 13, 2001 at 5:47pm :

I have to agree with your score on that one. It seemed totally out of place. Almost as if Indy was drinkin' more than just root beer...
And the one problem I've always had with McCoy's Indy books is the fact that there always seems to be one or two gaping holes in the plot. The way the villains are fleshed-out (or more correctly, not fleshed-out) is a good case in point. It's as though McCoy is saying to us "Take my word for it: These villains are bad." without really giving us much to go on. I was also perplexed by something in his first Indy novel (Philosopher's Stone); there's a passage about Alistair Dunsten raising pigeons or something. It seemingly figured into the ending, but hadn't been explained earlier. It seemed very tacked-on.
Still, I'd rather have four okay McCoy novels than a single bad Martin Caiden novel!
-graml
PS Would the opposite of "fleshed out" be "fleshed in"? And doesn't "fleshed in" sound a tad obscene?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com