What was Sallah? Italian?

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Dog from ? (64.14.248.62) on Thursday, March 14, 2002 at 5:51pm :

In Reply to: An interesting take on Raiders... posted by graml from user-2ivevma.dialup.mindspring.com (165.247.126.202) on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 at 4:23pm :

I'm pretty sure he was Arab, yes? And a good guy. How about all the fellas that were helping Indy. Good or bad guys? I don't think they were either. They were poor Arabs who were working to feed their families. Something else we have to look at (besides the fact that it's just a movie) Hitler (and also ALL great movie villains) did not see himself as a bad guy. Villains are heroes of their own story. A 'Shadow' (to steal from a book) of the hero. Belloq's words "I am a shadowy reflection of you." People do things for money and what I saw in Raiders is that the Germans had some bucks and payed it to those who would kill Indy and Marion. Or simply felt overpowered. Even Sallah says, "It is as if the Pharos have returned."
I don't know. I reckon I'm just a bit simpleminded to see movies as a place to face your emotions and let out the feelings in a darkened theater that you can't do in your day to day life.
I didn't walk away thinking that all French archeologists are killers nor did I walk away thinking that all Arabs were killers. Killers come in all shapes and sizes.
Wow! I'm all over the place here. Sorry about that.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com