DVD purification (rape)

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shawnkara from spider-wl042.proxy.aol.com (205.188.199.37) on Friday, March 15, 2002 at 8:35pm :

Hey, guys, it's been a while. I've been following the whole debate over the E.T. alterations and have given much thought to the purpose of it, if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I know some think it's better to do this for modern audiences full of children. Some think it's a bad idea and still other couldn't care less either way. I've decided it comes down to this: PRESERVATION. I don't give a rat's ass if Feds waving guns at kids was in good OR poor taste, that's how the movie was made, period. And, for better or for worse, that's exactly how it should stay, damn it. For us old enough to have seen it in theatres I think I big part of the appeal of a re-release is purely
sentimental. I don't want an altered version, I want it the way I remember it, the way it was when I was a kid making space ships for my little wind-up E.T. out of Chicken McNugget boxes. I want to show it to my sons as it was, as I saw it. I don't want to ahve to explain it to him like an extinct species, pointing out what it USED to be. Many fans were quite put off by the SW special editions, the fact that a beloved and imperitive part of their childhood had been desecrated. Especially that whole Greedo shooting first crap. I honestly don't know what else in the film was different, I shut it off when I saw that. It comes down to a far more realevant point, as well: what's next!? I'd have to harness the fires of heaven and melt some faces if Speil-turd ever decided to "update" 'Raiders'. What's next? All the fart and fat jokes in 'Goonies'? I can't believe Speil-turd would find any of those things in poor taste. After all, this is the guy who just made a film about a little boy thrown away in the woods, into a society that would torture him to death, as he searched in vain for a fictional fairy to make his Mommy love him, only to be frozen for two thousand years, only to wake up to find no humans what-so-ever and only to gain back, for one lousy day, a women that never cared about him in the first place. I don't know what the hell he was thinking making that piece of crap, but it made 'Schindler's List' look like 'Caddt Shack'. I didn't shed a single tear when my own Grandmother died, but I cried for two hours after seeing A.I. And he wants to say that "Penis breath" is offensive? Give me a break. My two cents.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com