Yes, we embrace you, too!

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Dan from adsl-216-158-25-110.cust.oldcity.dca.net (216.158.25.110) on Monday, November 18, 2002 at 4:57pm :

In Reply to: I personally think... posted by Rushmore from dhcp-63-49.tulane.edu (129.81.63.49) on Monday, November 18, 2002 at 4:39pm :

That is a very interesting theory! I wonder if a person who could not spell well had a chance to enjoy higher education back then. Standards used to be higher, and I find it unlikely that an educated man couldn't spell "neolithic." Young Indy learned how to read and write ancient Greek. Of course, neither intelligence nor education has anyhing to do with spelling ability per se, but a teacher is expected to hold up a certain standard. I think Indy was just uneasy and distracted. All the girls were eyeing him, even swooning. Indy looked very uncomfortable in his suit. He was even wearing glasses as sort of a "shield."
However, maybe we make too much of it all, because Indy could spell that word in the end; he just hesitated for a moment.

Regards, Dan

: That it is a commentary added by Spielberg about the American culture. For some reason, people think that spelling ability is linked to intelligence, when, of course, every right-minded person knows it is not. Indiana Jones, a very intelligent man (a doctor, in fact) may not be able to spell what he is writing on the board. Thus, because he is checking his spelling, he is rewarded with an apple and the admiration of a hot chick. Thus, the scene shows that the United States, in all its narrow-minded ways of thinking, should embrace those people, like Indiana Jones, who can not spell. They should be rewarded for at least trying, as Indy was in this scene.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com