That thought crossed my mind before, too.

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Operator Jake from pcp416801pcs.martnz01.ga.comcast.net (68.47.38.123) on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 at 8:05am :

In Reply to: Indy Saving The Big Guy in TOD posted by Masterfulks from ? (65.169.177.161) on Monday, December 09, 2002 at 10:01pm :

On a personal level, the fact that Indy was a humanitarian (feel free to debate this until Gymkata wins its long overdue Best Picture Award, but any guy who puts himself in harms way to save others; case in point, the children of the village, is okay by me). When I first saw Temple all those years ago, I could have sworn that saving Pat Roach was on Indy's mind at the moment. Perhaps he understood that the chief guard may simply have been a victim of the Black Sleep, as he himself was a little while ago.
If I'm not mistaken, somewhere in some written adaption of the movie it stated that after grabbing the white-hot Shankara Stone on the remains of the rope bridge, there was a flash of recognition in Mola Ram's eyes. Had he too been under the spell?

Thinking about it another way, and this is my theory to this day, Indy, being the smart guy that he was, realized that "Hey--here's a chance to squish this bully flatter than an elephant's instep AND get a lift to the catwalk at the same time! Hey, hold this. Thanks!"
Heh, humanitarian, yes--but even Doctor Jones had his limits.

On another note, I heard somewhere that there was a deleted scene where Shorty learned firsthand that the pain of fire/heat breaks the Black Sleep. I think it was in the MAD magazine satire (back in the long-since past days when the mag was still funny) where they surmised that a great deal of pain breaks the trance. Shorty then quipped; good--so then no one watching this movie will go home in a trance.

Let's be careful out there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com