Re: Why didn't Lucas like Darabont's script?

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean from wc12.wlfdle.rnc.net.cable.rogers.com (66.185.84.79) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 at 4:22pm :

In Reply to: Why didn't Lucas like Darabont's script? posted by Micah [indyfan.com] on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 at 3:55pm :

Bearing in mind the fact that Darabont wrote several episodes of the YIJC, it's obvious that he and Lucas shared some sort of creative partnership, and I'm sure were on friendly terms. This is why I am hesitant to blame Lucas solely for scrapping the script.

I think Lucas, of the BIG 3, is the most vocal and certainly currently the most accessible to the press due to the promotion of the SW DVD's and ROTS, which is why we hear so much of his criticism of Darabont's idea.

Did Darabont break from the "timeline" of Indiana Jones? Who knows. Did he kill off Indy, hurting future marketing chances? Who knows. For all we know he could have thrown Indy into jail for "robbing graves" where he befriended Morgan Freeman and spent the next 30 years of his life digging a hole in his cell wall.

I think that Lucas, Spielberg and Ford have absolutley NO IDEA what to do with Indiana Jones IV. I think that they want to make it simply for the pleasure of working together again, not for the good of the character or the "franchise." Let's face it too - Ford isn't the box office draw he once was and this could break him back into the public conciousness once again.

No, I think that the BIG 3 are sampling from the buffet until they find something that they really like. Apparently 1/3 of the trio didn't like Darabont's cooking, and sent it back to the kitchen. Like I said, Ford and Spielberg probably didn't really like it either. Lucas is stubborn, but he's no fool, and if the other two liked it, I'm sure they would've gone ahead with it.

The fact that they haven't asked Lawrence Kasdan to take a stab at it really, really bothers me. Here's hoping.

Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com