George Lucas and USC

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walker from user-37kbuf7.dialup.mindspring.com on April 26, 1999 at 20:24:13:

I visited the university of Southern california this weekend. It's a great School. I took a tour of the film school and it was great. Two of the buildings were named after George Lucas and Marcia Lucas. One building was named after Spielberg, the Steven Spielberg Sound Stage, the george Lucas instructional building, and the Marcia
Lucas post production building. Both Lucas and Spielberg have donated millions to the film school. Spielberg waa rejected from getting into the film school when he applied so why did he donate? The story goes that spielberg was hard at work on a film with a crew of USC grads. He called up Lucas and told him he was behind schedule and in need of help. Lucas assured him that the USC grads would pull it off(Lucas himself graduated from there) and if they did and the movie was profitable he urged Spielberg to donate some of the funds to the school. Well, Raiders of the Lost Ark ended up being a great big hit and Spielberg kept his promise and donated a million dollars to make a film scoring sound stage. Cool huh. Also Tom Hubbard teaches at the school, he is the guy who designed THX.
I really want to go there and get a film production degree but the film industry is so high risk. Anybody have any advice? I have to decide by May 1. Not much time. My other alternative is Georgia Tech for Computer Science, which is cool but it isn't my dream, what do you guys think?

Matt Walker

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]