Re: Rip-off

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DeWayne from ppp429.elkgrove.net on September 14, 1999 at 02:10:58:

In Reply to: Rip-off posted by Austin Powers on September 13, 1999 at 23:59:29:

: I bought a bag from What Price Glory and a strap from Noel Howard back in May...I thought the bag was perfect, and for fifteen damn dollars it couldn't be beat. The strap seemed okay at the time....but I was watching "Temple of Doom" the other day and it finally hit me. The Noel Howard strap is the biggest rip-off since the final Seinfeld episode. The strap is a half-assed brown color...almost red. Only one side is "finished", while the other side looks like the underside of a cheap K-Mart belt. I'm still not sure how much I forked out for it, since it was in English pounds....but looking back the strap isn't worth five bucks. It doesn't look anything like Indy's. The leather is stiff and raw, not smooth and comfortable-looking like the real thing. If I was looking to buy a strap now, I'd steer clear of Noel Howard....hell, I could make a better one myself.

: Austin....Danger Powers
: "Crikey, I've lost my mojo!"

The strap is actually a recreation of the Raiders one. Which is a reddish brown. I think he left the under-side unfinished so none of the leather dye couldn't stain that $90 shirt. I made my own strap years ago with some leather like you would use to make a belt. I ruined a nice shirt in one night.(on Halloween.)
The only part of the strap I don't like is the buckle. It looks way too big. I made my own strap for another bag(using leather that shouldn't stain). I found a great buckle at a shoe repair shop that I used. I think mine looks a little more authentic, but I did spend a lot of time trying too find the right leather and buckle.
I suppose it's just a matter of willing to spend time & money, and do it yourself. Or go the Noel Howard way and just spend some money, and spend some time waiting for it to show up!
See ya! DeWayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]