Indy should have definetly been a smoker!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-55.COL.cableone.net on January 15, 2000 at 15:31:45:

In Reply to: Re: Indy smoking? posted by graml on January 15, 2000 at 12:57:00:

: : In the beginning of the Temple of Doom script they were actually going to make Indy smoke a cigarette! Oh, how glad I am that they changed that in the movie. It just would've ruined the way I see Indy now, that's all. I respect him too much, and for him to smoke would have been devastating to me.

: Hey. Really? You'd view Indy differently if he'd smoked? I don't think I would; the typical B-Movie adventurer he was based on dabbled in all the vices; smoking, drinking, fast women. Of course, Indy admitted hating fast women in Last Crusade.... But seriously, throughout that whole scene in the Club Obi Wan, I was dying for a cigarette. With Indy in his white tux and all, I'm surprised George Lucas was able to resist the temptation of having Indy light a cigarette. But that's just my two cents.
: -graml
: PS Hey all you kids out there: Smoking is bad for your health. I'm serious! Aw, what's the use?

I am not a politically correct person, so I think he should have been a smoker. In the time period that he was in, lots of men smoked. A whole culture evolved around it. I can remember when smoking was permitted almost everywhere. No one even gave it a second thought. People knew that they were not gonna live forever, and enjoyed cigarettes and cigars in the meantime. A different mindset than that of today. Today we think we can live on forever, a result of the baby boomers of which I am a not so proud member. And the baby boomers' kids have been conditioned into this whole consciousness of wishful immortality. We are so squeaky clean it makes me want to vomit on this whole culture of theocratic "me-ism". We want to be protected from our own worse enemies-ourselves. How completely insane! So yes Indy should have smoked. It would have suited the character. steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]