Re: Indy being a smoker

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Muppet from dialup107.dagobah.kingston-internet.net on January 15, 2000 at 15:47:34:

In Reply to: Indy should have definetly been a smoker! posted by Steve on January 15, 2000 at 15:31:45:

I can see why it would have suited the character - the 30's being the era of seeing smoking as suave and dignified. And yes, I wouldn't have been surprised had Lucas decided to make Indy a smoker. But think about the movies; two things come to mind.

One; when would Indy have smoked? Maybe at the beginning of ToD, but I doubt he'd light up on an Egyptian dig site, or riding a horse trying to evade a Nazi tank, or fighting for his life in Venice. The Indy movies don't really call for any scenes where Indy-as-smoker would be appropriate, let alone necessary.

Two; do the same people who want Indy to be a smoker want an Indy IV? Because if so, think of what Indy would be like. He'd be out of breath, in bad health, and have a nasty cough/gassy laugh. Just my experiences of people I've known who have smoked all their lives - I don't want to sound 'sqeaky-clean', but promoting cigarettes and potential lung cancer death is not good - having witnessed someone wasting away and dying of it, it ain't a pretty sight.

Okay, okay - I'm off my soap box now :)

-Muppet-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: