Re: VHS + VHS = Not working? Here's why....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on August 04, 1998 at 10:14:53:

In Reply to: VHS + VHS = Not working :( posted by Bordok on August 04, 1998 at 09:52:31:

: Hello
: I bought the Indy trilogy from the US. I thought it would work in Europe VCRs since they both use VHS... but it didn't. Can anyone tell me why? I mean... VHS cassette should work in a VHS VCR system.
: What about DVDs? Do the DVD CDs bought from US work in the Europe DVD systems?
: Thanks ppl

Well, just a short lesson on standards....The US standard for video/broadcast is NTSC, or around 540 scan lines or resolution. The European is PAL, at around 650 scans or so. NTSC will not play on PAL equipment, or vice versa. You'll have to find a standards converter VCR to play your US tapes on your European equipment. "VHS" only refers to the physical 1/2" tape and carriage box it comes in , and it's patent owned by JVC corporation. It does not refer to a playback standard, only to the type of tape it is recorded on. Sorry, but I would have the same problem if I purchased a videotape in Europe, the tried to play it on my US built NTSC standards machine. All I would get would be a trashed picture, or snow. There are several other standards worldwide, such as SECAM, but they do not cross reference with each other. The irony of all this is that these standards were created and adopted by the different emerging "TV" groups around the world, and the US, one of the main inventors of the television kept the lousiest scan that was invented, AND STUCK WITH IT!! The joke among us videographer is the supposed meaning of the different standards: NTSC: Never Twice the Same Color SECAM: Something Essentially Contrary to the American Method PAL: Peace At Last! Hope this helps you understand why your tape won't play. Sorry about that. Regarding the laser disc, once again, check if the standard pertains to the playback unit. That dictates what you can and cannot use on your particular machine, unless you own one that plays all standards. They do exist for around $2500 US. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]