Re: That tie in "Last Crusade"...what's up with that?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dakota Ellison from spider-ti032.proxy.aol.com on August 16, 2000 at 23:29:37:

In Reply to: That tie in "Last Crusade"...what's up with that? posted by Cueball on August 16, 2000 at 21:29:52:

: I recently re-watched "Last Crusade" and noticed that Indy wears that tie through at least half the movie (until he ends up in Berlin and gets Hitler's autograph in the Grail Diary). I think it looks charcoal grey, but I guess it's black. Either way, it doesn't match the brown earthtones of the rest of his outfit, but that doesn't really matter; a real man mismatches his clothes. (Right now I'm wearing a seersucker sportcoat with plaid Sansabelt slacks.) I'm relatively new to this; are there any explanations? I checked Indy Gear, as I always do before posting questions that may seem silly, but there was just a description of it. Was he going formal for a reason?

: And what about his socks? (Just kidding about those.)

: Hurry, I can't sleep until I know.

: Your kinder and gentler Cueball

In 1938, a man driving across Europe in a sports car with a beautiful woman wore a tie. It's not until he gets to Iskendrun that Indy is without the tie. Look at all the serials from that time. Practically everyone is wearing a tie and a fedora, unless they're in some kind of costume, like Spysmasher or Captain Marvel. Normal wear right up till the early Sixties really. Now you can get some sleep.
Cheers!

Ellison

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: