Visit to Flight Suits...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.104.29.112 on January 24, 2001 at 18:26:43:

I spent the morning with Lee Keppler, Dave Marshall, and the design team down at Flight Suits. We laughed, we cried, we yelled a little – a very constructive meeting. We went over the measurements of the original jacket, laid the patterns out and decided that there is absolutely no way in hell that Harrison Ford could have bought that jacket off the rack.

That said, we took the actual measurements of the actual jacket used in the movie, we compared them to the standard measurements for chest, waist, hips, sleeve length. We made some compromises to the both the standards and the original in the name of building a jacket Flight Suits could sell off the rack for the fan to enjoy. Ask Lee – at more than a few points, the lead design person was about ready to jump across the table at us (ok, mostly me), because some of these proportions go completely against what they’ve learned is necessary to make and sell a jacket that people can wear for a lifetime. Remember, these folks actually make a living at this. We managed to modify a few dimensions in order to gain in others. The result will be – I hope – the best jacket for the fan.

We will know in the next week what this new prototype will look like – Lee’s going to be able to see it first hand. When all was said and done, I believe we acheived the details we needed and still managed to stay within the broad standard parameters for building a jacket for mass production. But rest assured - we pushed a few of them close to the limit! Let just say that this jacket will have a taper to it, and will provide added incentive for those of us over 35 to make it to the gym a little more often. They made the mods to a cloth shell which was hanging in the room, and then brought in their 40 Regular model - one of the staff. It looked perfect.

Honestly, I was ready to walk away from this before today. I have an actual job that provides plenty of frustration – I don’t need a hobby that does as well. But, it was a lot of fun hashing this out. Once this is done, so are we – if you want something different, you can pay the custom sizing charge like the rest of us. Either way, this will be a great jacket.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: