Actually...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net (216.102.199.185) on Friday, January 10, 2003 at 9:24am :

In Reply to: Re: I should, since... posted by Calixar from id-couerdalene2d-237.cdalid.adelphia.net (24.53.226.237) on Friday, January 10, 2003 at 2:27am :

: Right... it's just that most people I know, for some reason I have yet to fathom, refer to the Eastern Orthodox Church as the "Russian Catholic" or some such variation.
: So, you say "Ukrainian Catholic," and I hear "Orthodox."
: Maybe, if Aragorn comes back, he can explain it.

... I didn't say "Ukranian Catholic" - Aragorn did. ;)

Referring to the Eastern Orthodox Church as "Russian Catholic" is just wishful thinking by those doing the referring. Some people mistakenly believe that the Orthodox Church broke off from the Roman Catholic Church... in truth, it was one big Church (theformal name to it escapes me at the moment) that split into two churches (the Roman Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox) when the Patriarch of Rome had a falling out with the rest of the Patriarchs (of Constantinople, Alexandria, etc.).

Thus, the Roman Catholic Church has a Pope (which is Latin for "Patriarch") and the Eastern Orthodox Church (Eastern as in "Eastern", or Byzantine, Empire - although today we might say "Eastern Europe") has, well, a Patriarch. :)

And then the Protestants broke off from the Roman Catholic Church, and so on, and so on...

I guess we've steered pretty far from Indiana Jones talk... hopefully people here aren't too mad at us. :D

-G

P.S. = Yes, I'm Russian Orthodox (in case you were wondering). ;)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com