A review of the Cooper/US Wings Indy Jacket...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd from 149.82.21.162 on July 12, 1999 at 15:25:24:

I currently own both a Wested jacket (original Raiders configuration, predistressed with cotton lining) and a US Wings/Cooper jacket. In looking at the details of the Cooper jacket, I've noted a few differences between it and the Wested jacket. I reviewing those differences, and looking more closely at the Temple of Doom jacket on video, I have some questions about what I've heard about the differences between the Raiders' jacket and the ToD jacket, per Peter Botwright.

Everything I've found to date says that Wested made the jackets for the three movies, and that the only difference between the Raiders and ToD jackets was the length. In reviewing the video of ToD, I have found several other differences. These differences lead me to ask whether it is the Cooper jacket we see in the second movie.

Placement of the side strap is different from the Raiders jacket:
InToD and on the Cooper jacket, attachment for the rings is on the outside of the jacket, rather then sewn into the seam as with the Wested jacket.
In ToD, attacment of the straps is well away from the edge of the handwarmer openings, while on the Raiders jacket the straps are attached just tangent to the handwarmer slits, facilitating tucking the straps into the openings. It is clear from the video of ToD that the straps are neither long enough nor attached close enough to the handwarmers to be tucked in. This is consistant with the Cooper jacket.
The front pockets are larger and have rounded edges on the Raiders jacket, while they are noticably smaller with more squared corners on the ToD jacket. This is consistant with Cooper's use of a standard A2 pocket configuration on their jacket.
The lining of the collar band in ToD is clearly leather, which is consistant with the Cooper jacket. The Wested jackets use the lining material (cotton or satin) on the inside of the collar band. This is evident by careful review of the Raiders and LC videos, as well as the various pictures posted on your web site of people's own Wested jackets.

According to the US Wings site, the Cooper licensed copy was available for a short period after the first movie came out. Is it possible some of these made it onto the set for ToD? Based on the relatively shorter screen time for the jacket in the second movie, and the few stunts performed in those scenes, they probably didn't go through to many of them. Maybe it was just easier for the wardrobe people to buy off the rack?

I beleive it is clear from reviewing the video of ToD that the changes in the jacket are more extensive then just a little added length. The jacket I see when I watch the video is more like the one from US Wings/Cooper then it is like the Raiders jacket I have from Peter Botwright. Don't get me wrong - I love them both.

Thoughts?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]