I agree on several points, disagree on others.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by California Mike from 209-21-33-113.dialup.microweb.net on May 08, 2001 at 15:36:10:

In Reply to: The "CGI Revolution" posted by Austin Powers on May 08, 2001 at 15:08:24:

First, you are absolutely right about the t-rex being the best cgi ever. Spielberg used just the right combination of live action puppets, actual crumpling cars and trees, and perfect cgi work to master that scene. Never got any better.

CGI has gotten more prevalent, but I don't think it is operating to replace story lines. Crappy story lines are as old as time!! CGI is filler that tries to mask weaknesses in a script, just as costumes and a lavish production tried to mask problems with cleopatra, or how excessive violence is used to fill in plot holes in the typical action blockbusters. The problem isn't CGI, it's filmmakers who use it as a crutch.

Special effects have always been around, and there has always been special effects movies. When they are well done (the original lost world, king kong) they work. those movies are no different from the today's eye candy movies, except that the effects were well done and worked with the story. Its the same thing today, when the movie works, everything is hunkey-dorey. No matter what genre of movie or filmaking technique we talk about, there will be always be more examples of when the end product is crappy versus worthwhile. There simply are a lot more bad movies than there are good movies.

Too much cgi used in the wrong way will ruin a film, just like too much dialogue, mindless violence, or lame characters. Yes stuntman are better, but there are times when cgi has its place. Good movies and good filmmakers will know the difference and act accordingly. Tools are just that, tools. Its how you use them that determines whether the product is good or bad. Don't blame the hammer when the house comes out wrong.

At least, in my humble opinion.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]