Re: The writing in ROTLA

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Katanga from du-001-0110.freeuk.com on November 12, 2000 at 18:02:06:

In Reply to: Re: The writing in ROTLA posted by Kent Allard on November 12, 2000 at 12:55:34:

I agree with you that Spielberg and Ford make it look easy.

As far as the fortune and glory bit goes, I think although I may be wrong that in the early days of archaeology Museums were quite wealthy and so even if the artifacts Indy discovered were put in a museum he could still get fortune and glory from the sale to the museum/book writing opportunities/travelling exhibitions etc. He would also get glory in the form of an international reputation such as Schliemann and Carter et al.

I think also the fact that Indy never got to keep any of the artifacts apart from the Sankara Stone is that it puts it into the 'well this may have happenned category'. If Indy found the Holy Grail and put it into a museum it'd be like 'Well where'd it go?' the fact he lost it again makes it more believable. Spielberg's good for doing this in his movie's. Most of his films (i.e. ET, Jaws, Close Encounters, Jurrasic Park) are pretty enclosed in that they don't have an impact on the outside world. I think that the 'tacked on ending' of JP2:Lost World kind of blew the whole thing apart and made the film slightly less believable. 'How come I didn't hear about that T Rex rampaging through San Diego?' Although it's only a movie and the audience know it's only a movie it still destroys the illusion.

Hope I'm not boring anybody ;-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]